Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Trillium Gap Trail

Ok so this is only slightly related to running...I've decided that "running" can refer to anything involved in my staying fit for a marathon. And certainly hiking 2.4 miles up & down a mountain is a workout! Just ask my dad :)

If you've been following this blog, you know that for a while I have been really, really into hiking and other such outdoors adventures. So when I went to visit my dad in Knoxville last week, the first thing I wanted to do was some hiking in the Smoky Mountains. No shopping, no Dollywood, no touristy things. Just put me in the big outdoors. So after we got lost & encountered some less than helpful park rangers, we found the Trillium Gap Trail (click to see a pic which mountain our trail went up). The trail went to Grotto Falls, a 25 foot waterfall that you could walk behind. Beautiful and pretty darn cool!

Here we are in the beginning of the trail, crossing over a small stream/mini waterfall:


These pretty flowers were everywhere!


Approaching Grotto Falls:


We made it! Dad flexes his muscles:


Here I am behind the waterfall:


Close up of Grotto Falls, absolutely beautiful!


On the way back to the trailhead:


The trailhead, dad is plumb tuckered out:


I have so many more pictures of this beautiful trail...I will try to post on Picasa soon and link here.

And I think I may be going back in October...anyone want to come along? The leaves should be changing then :)

No comments: