Friday, September 26, 2008

kolb's farm loop trail


So a couple weeks ago I bought a book: 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Atlanta. I was hoping for some new routes to run and also some fun day hikes to take.

Well I tried out my first trail last weekend. The book has a section of hikes that are "good for runners." Within this section, the authors listed the Silver Comet Trail, which as I know all too well is paved and pretty flat. So I noticed a trail called the Kolb's Farm Loop in the same section and decided to try it. Unfortunately, I would never group this trail with the Silver Comet, and I would never try to run there (even though I did see several runners). I went with Ryan and we ended up just hiking together instead of me trying to run the thing. The first problem was that there was poop (it's a horse-allowed trail), everywhere. Everywhere. The second was that it was very steep in some parts, and running up and down steep gravel hills is not my idea of a fun time. And third, there were some really swampy, smelly spots.

There were some good parts though:

Someone made a little chair out of the end of a fallen tree log. A funny sight.


We took a detour to China and visited a bamboo forest & my Asian roots.


We saw the actual Kolb's farm, which is currently a private residence.


We viewed Civil War battlefields and earthworks.



We saw a deer! Eating crack corn in someone's backyard.


And most importantly, we finished. 5 mile hike, with some difficult parts. I was really proud of Ryan, I think it was a new milestone for him. It was a good time :) even with the poop.

1 comment:

Ryan Duckworth said...

Thank God we got out of the deer place before the males came.