Wednesday, September 17, 2008

review: Swan Coach House

Swan Coach House
date of visit: 9/13/08

kiwis:
taste: 4
ambience: 5
service:3

My mom & one of her best friends came up this past weekend, and we enjoyed a delicious lunch at the Swan Coach House. I had been here once before for a bridesmaids' luncheon, and ever since telling my mom about that luncheon, she has wanted to go to the Swan Coach House. So that's what we did.

The funny thing about the Swan Coach House is that very few men eat there. In fact, when we went, there were no men in the dining room. Over the course of 2 hours, I saw 2 men total. It is a very popular place for bridal showers, baby showers, girly lunches, and old lady get-togethers. I only say this about the old ladies because the first time I went, I didn't have any cash to tip the valet, but he smiled and said "don't worry, the old ladies will take care of us just fine."

I personally love this place. It's very stately looking, and tucked away from the bustle of Buckhead. It is very classic Southern...from the wallpaper to the chandeliers to the patterned chairs...so if that's not your cup of tea, don't expect to enjoy it. But, if you've grown up in the South, this place will feel like home to you. Cheery and colorfully decorated. The only problem is that the service does not mirror the Southern theme. When I went with my mom, our server was pretty slow and often seem rushed. Which was fine, we weren't in a hurry, but it still wasn't the Southern hospitality we were expecting.

The food is really good. Not amazing, but solid and delicious. My mom got crab crakes, that while small, were packed with crabmeat. Mmm. Her friend got the salmon nicoise salad, and she said it was delicous. I got the "Swan's favorite": chicken salad in heart-shaped timbales and frozen fruit salad. The frozen fruit salad is my favorite. It's light and packed with all different kinds of fruit. The perfect summer treat! I really like the presentation of it, I guess they freeze a cylinder of the salad and then slice it into disks? It looks really cool.

There is also a gift shop, art gallery, and the Atlanta History Center is right next door.

Unfortunately, we forgot a camera to document our quality girl time, but here's a favorite pic of my mom & I, just to give a shoutout to her :)

2 comments:

Bufyluver said...

How do you have the time and money to go to all these places? I'm jealous. Haha.

kiwi said...

haha, well i don't have the money...it was my mom's treat! :)