Thursday, August 21, 2008

upsetting!!!

As each day of the Beijing Olympics continues, I hear new, disturbing stories of China's totalitarian, oppressive regime. Why does this not sicken anyone else? Why doesn't the news report it? I just watched rhythmic gymnastics, and I'm awed by the artistry, but then I see the red China flags and can't even enjoy what I'm watching because I think of all the atrocities going on underneath the facade. Because as I watched the games, I was also browsing the NY Times and found this lovely article:

Too Old and Frail to Re-educate? Not in China

Yeah that's right, 2 little old ladies, 77 and 79 years old, sentenced to labor for protesting the government not compensating them fairly when their homes were seized for redevelopment. The best part: they were in a government sanctioned area of protest. But oh no, that does not stop China.

Is this what we want to praise? Is this the way we want the world to go?

No comments: