Friday, August 15, 2008

party up! republican party that is...

So I decided to check out the Launch of Young Professionals for John McCain this week...

Here is everyone congregating at the entrance of JCT Kitchen bar. Ryan accompanied me & we were among the first arrivals. We met some people and I forgot their names not 5 minutes after meeting them. Yeah...I'm not good with names. As people started arriving, I was impressed with the range of ages. I was one of the younger people there, but certainly not the youngest. And there were plenty of older people...even close to my parents' ages. (Hey, they are young at heart!) And, there were LOTS of people there. We packed out the inside bar & the outside patio, and people even made makeshift seating on the stairs.


But what was not diverse was the type of person there. I felt like I was back in Greek land in college. Not that this is a bad thing, I loved being Greek. But I thought...I mean, aren't there lots of different professions? Do only good ol' Southern boys & girls who work at tax or law firms support McCain? Or are they the only social supporters of McCain? I just remember back to Mitt Romney & Ron Paul's rallies - all kinds of different people were there (especially at Ron Paul's). This really was not the case. I was so glad I wore a summery, cute dress that day...because every girl was wearing one.

Side note on the food - the recpetion food was popcorn & fries:

What does that say about Republicans? And what about hungry Republicans? I came straight from a long day at work...and I had popcorn & fries for dinner. They were pretty good though.

Ok so after an hour or so of mingling, the speaker was announced. Hunter Hill is running for Georgia State Senate. I have to say, first impressions, nice guy who's not a great speaker. He slipped up and said "we should be helping Obama...oh I meant McCain, sorry." What kind of Republican makes that kind of error? He made it a couple times too. We all laughed it off, but it still kinda bothered me. The other thing that bothered me is that a train came through with horn blasting. Yeah, JCT Kitchen is right by a train track. Whose brilliant decision was it to have a speaker on an active train track?

Back to Mr. Hill...my favorite parts:

"If you're not a conservative, maybe you should look into being one."
many laughs from the crowd on this one

"less taxes, more freedom"

on the war in Iraq (Hill was deployed to Iraq)
"we want to come home winners...Obama thinks nothing is worth fighting for."

It was an upbeat speech, supporting McCain etc etc. Nothing I didn't already know. Then at the end, to wrap up, we were encouraged to tell our friends about McCain and also to give money if we could. Speaking of, I should probably do the money thing soon. But I was a little disappointed in the lack of urgency. It was cool to hear Mr. Hill speak, but I was hoping to hear more about more tangible ways we could contribute. I remember back in 04 spending many hours at Bush's re-election center, making phone calls to get out the vote. When are we gonna do that? What can I do personally? That's what I really wanted to know and I didn't get those answers. Apparently there are more events in the future though, so maybe there will be more involvement then?

No comments: