Monday, August 25, 2008

making dinner

So for how much I love eating out...I really love eating in. I'm not a good cook by any means, but I try! I thought I would share some of my proudest moments over the past week or 2 from dinners at home.

First, I made the BEST fried green tomatoes I've ever had in my life. I couldn't believe how good they were! I used Marvin Woods' recipe from Home Plate Cooking (if you'll remember from the good ol' days of Turner South).

Here they are all sliced up pretty:














We even tried frying up some of the tomatoes I've been growing, but they weren't as tasty.














We fried 'em up, and then we were surprised at how simple it was to make such amazing tomatoes. You just dip the slices in egg, then dust them with a mix of half flour, half cornmeal, salt & pepper.















Another favorite is the garlic chili shrimp that we happened upon at Publix. We were just looking around for food for dinner and saw the free samples of shrimp. One bite and we said "we're making this for dinner." So we took a recipe card and bought all the ingredients needed. Ryan fired up the Foreman (hey we are too lazy to go down to the pool grill, plus the lady at Publix used a Foreman!) and he made the sauce too. I really didn't contribute much to the making of this meal, but I was really impressed with the recipe and how well it turned out! I was proud of Ryan!

No comments: