Tuesday, August 5, 2008

open feelings

Every morning I try to read Our Daily Bread. I often miss days when I'm running late to work, or sometimes I just forget. I'm far from perfect! But this message from the other day really hit me.

Do you ever feel angry toward God? Or do you ever feel angry, and then feel guilty for feeling angry? Because you feel like it's not right, do you try to suppress the anger? Or when bad things happen, do people tell you not to be angry at God?

Well for me, the answer to all these questions is yes. When I feel badly or angry towards God, I also start to feel guilty, like I shouldn't feel that way.

But, God wants us to express all of our emotions to Him. That's what the Psalms basically are, the entire range of human emotions layed out openly before God. Philip Yancey mentions that "The psalmists do not rationalize anger or give abstract advice about pain; rather, they express emotions vividly and loudly, directing their feelings primarily at God. The anguished conclusion of Psalm 88 provides ample evidence (vv.13-18)."

It's good to get the feelings out there. In bringing our weaknesses and our feelings out honestly before Him, that's the only way He can help us. It's such a relief to know this.

No comments: