Friday, August 22, 2008

Cochran Shoals

Cochran Shoals is my newest running discovery! It is pretty much the most perfect running path I could ask for:

1. Not too far from my place - a 15 min ride on backroads (which is really fun with the windows down and music blaring)
2. Mostly shaded
3. Nice scenery - the Chattahoochee on one side and small mountains and greenery on the other
4. One hill and a few small hills so it's not completely easy
5. Connects to Columns Dr. which coincidentally connects to Johnson Ferry. So technically I could run from the trail to church. Not that I would do that. But I would maybe park at Columns Drive entrance rather than Interstate North, then do 1 loop on the trail and 1 loop on Columns Drive to break up the surface & routine.
6. Is a perfect 3 mile loop, with an inner 2 mile loop. Perfect for running odd & even distances!
7. Pretty popular, lots of fun people-watching and I feel pretty safe there. Lots of bikers too.
8. Gravel/dirt trail which makes running a little harder, but is better for the knees.

The only cons are that the restrooms are shut down for renovations and parking costs $$. But it's only $25 for an annual pass which I find completely acceptable, especially since you can use the pass for any of the Chattahoochee Recreation Areas.

Also on my list to do...shooting the hooch. Who wants to do it with me?

No comments: