Monday, August 11, 2008

over halfway there!

Yesterday I ran 14 miles! Yikes! I've finally gotten to the point where I understand why people think I'm crazy for doing this...what have I gotten myself into?

The Silver Comet & I have become close friends. I won't say good because we have a love-hate relationship. Love because the air is clean, the trees are shady, there are no cars, it's really flat. Hate because the miles seem to stretch on forever and I get bored after an hour or 2 of running. I guess there is more love than hate though!

Anyway! I started at the Floyd Road entrance, there is a cute little bike depot. Ryan rented a bike, and it was really fun seeing him whiz past me with a big grin on his face. The people at the depot were really nice, and they had a lot of selection. I was definitely jealous of Ryan and I hope to be able to take my own bike out there soon.

I ran 3 miles west, 3 miles back, water/powerade break. Then 2 miles east, 2 miles back, water/powerade/energy gel break. At this point, Ryan was back at Floyd Rd. and we had a quick talk about how his bike ride went, and then I said I could stop at 10 miles if he wanted to leave. But Ryan, my ever-encouraging fan, said, "No, you need to run the rest of the 14 miles." (or something to that effect). I'm so glad he made me finish the run though, painful as it was. So I ran 2 miles west and back in again. I really have to give a shout-out to Ryan here, because if he hadn't wanted to go with me to the trail, I probably wouldn't have gone. And if he hadn't have been there with me at mile 10, I probably would have stopped and gone home. So many thanks go out to my #1 fan! :)

I have to say, and this is really weird to say, that the first 6 miles were cake. Who would have ever thought I'd come so far as to say "6 miles? that's nothing." But then the next 4 miles were a little harder and I could have happily stopped there. But the last 4 miles were excruciating. I'm talking pain so bad that it felt better to keep running rather than stop and/or walk because then I REALLY felt the pain. Isn't that weird? So run I did. After I passed mile 13 I really felt a surge of rejoicing, beacause I was happy that I had passed the halfway mark to the marathon, and I was overjoyed that there was only 1 mile left. Whew!

When I was running the last 4 miles, I kept thinking my mantra in my head. I've been following the training program in the Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer, and a lot of the training is psychological. So at one point in the training, I had to come up with a short paragraph that would empower me while I was running. So mine is "I am a marathoner. I love to run. Running is fun. God's got my back. He gives me the strength. He gives me the energy. This is a blessing. I am so thankful!"

So on the back 4, I was thinking my paragraph, and then I was thinking, what do I mean by "this is a blessing"? And then I realized as the pain got worse and my steps got slower...this is a blessing because I am pushing my human body to the limit, limits I've never known before. And in putting myself in my weakest possible state, there comes a point where I can either quit or I can say "Hey God, do this through me. Give me Your strength & give me Your power." So running becomes a blessing because it's an opportunity to trust God and see Him do something amazing. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I ran 14 miles with God's help. There's no way I did at alone. This is a blessing.

No comments: