Thursday, August 21, 2008

fried chicken & chocolate

So I have been going to this church for over 2 years now, and although it has its pros & cons, I've mostly enjoyed it and felt at home there. However, I haven't really done much to get more involved. This is really sad that I've dropped the ball so much, when I used to be really involved with church back home and with ministries throughout college.

Well with last Sunday's sermon, I was really struck with the need to be more involved. Our pastor just started a series on the journey of faith for God's people. And for the past 2 years, I've just been sitting at the beginning of the journey, and not taken the next steps.

So, yesterday I went to my first Wednesday night at church. It was really fun. Now I'm kicking myself for not being brave enough to go sooner. It's a big church, so it can be really intimidating! But I went to fellowship dinner, which was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, rolls, salad, collard greens, and dessert bar. The chicken was awesome. Mmmmmm.

Then I wandered upstairs for Coffee & Chocolate, the introduction to Women's Bible studies for the fall. Now this was the scary part, seeing as I knew no one when I walked in. But I immediately was greeted, given a mug full of chocolate, and someone explained to me what was going on, etc. So only a brief moment of scariness!

When I went to buy a book, I realized I didn't have enough cash or my checks, so that made me sad. But I went on to the class I picked anyway. We started class and the teacher said "does anyone not have a book?" and I sheepishly raised my hand, explaining the lack of appropriate form of payment...then this lady turns around to me and hands me a $20 bill. "you'll want the book today. you can pay me back next week." Wow! What a nice lady =) At that moment I felt like I really had made the right choice and was exactly where God wanted me to be. I walked out to get the book and heard the teacher joke "hey you have any more $20 bills you want to hand out?" Hehe.

If you're curious, the study is A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place. It's Beth Moore's first study and I've always wanted to do it. I always learn a lot from her! So I'm pretty excited about this, and I'm sure you'll hear more as the weeks progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww that's awesome, i'm so excited for you!! Hmm i'll have to get it too, i still have some money left on the gift card to Lifeway Christian Bookstore that mom got us for Christmas! c: i miss you, booger!