Monday, October 6, 2008

weekend restaurant round-up

Maru Sushi
date of visit: 10/3/08
kiwis: taste 4, service 4, ambience 4

Thanks to a friend's review of Maru Sushi, I was totally craving sushi all last week. Then voila, Ryan got a full time job, so we had reason to celebrate and go to a nice dinner. Thank goodness he was feeling sushi too!

I would never have stopped here on my own. It's on the end of a little strip of stores in South Cobb. But the service is awesome, everyone is so nice, and the sushi chef is incredible. The fish is so fresh, and the attention to detail is impeccable. The prices are so reasonable too. I really liked the neighborhood feel to the place. It seemed like everyone that came in knew the owners, or knew someone else in the restaurant. I would love to become a regular here.

Taco Mac
Perimeter location
date of visit: 10/4/08
kiwis: taste 3, service 4, ambience 4

I love Taco Mac...some are better than others though. This location is great! This is my 2nd visit to this Taco Mac, and I went with a couple friends for lunch/GT football. We started with the queso, which I have talked about previously, and we quickly wiped it out and ordered a refill. Our server was really good for a busy game day. It was almost like she could read my mind...I would think "we need more chips" then 2 seconds later she would appear and say "do you need a chip refill?" It was awesome!

The only thing I was disappointed to find out was that there is essentially no difference between Mild, Medium, and Hot wings. They all have the same sauce, they just put a different amount of sauce on the wings. I felt kind of cheated. Shouldn't they always put the same amount of sauce on the wings, and the sauce varies in intensity or amount of peppers in it? That's how I would do it...not putting less sauce on the wings. But the server was nice and brought me some extra sauce when I found my wings only half covered.

Other than that, it was a great visit.

OK Cafe
date of visit: 10/4/08
kiwis: taste 4, service 4, ambience 4

There's just something strange about OK Cafe...like why is only OK? And not good? Or great? I could never figure this out...

The food is always pretty good. It depends on what you get. This particular visit, everything was delicious. Especially the pot roast and mashed potatoes, which my mom ordered. I loved my strawberry milkshake (I can attest that it is made purely from milk and ice cream), and we also got strawberry shortcake for dessert.


But to let you in on what is always good:
milkshakes
pancakes - huge & melt in your mouth, no need for syrup!
hamburgers - they were reeeeeally good when Van was still the burger cook
grouper sandwich
french fries - they have a really addictive seasoning on them
veggies - I'm a big fan of the veggie plate, especially with fried green tomatoes (the veggie of the day on Mon & Thurs) and a baked sweet potato with all the fixins - brown sugar, walnuts, butter
corn muffins
carrot cake - I don't even like carrot cake. This is soooo good though.

Here are the foods I usually avoid:
chicken pot pie - really hard, tasteless puff pastry on top
meatloaf - dry
rotisserie chicken - also dry
squash casserole - sometimes has a weird taste to it

But it's a good place to go for average comfort food & really nice service. Saida is the coolest host! If she's your cashier, you'll feel like you've known her for years. And if you're in a hurry, Ok Take-away is a great option. Beware the pay-per-pound - you may not think you're getting that much food, but the pounds really add up!

Also it's a bummer that they don't serve breakfast all day :( But they do have brunch on the weekends :)

No comments: