Monday, October 20, 2008

peachtree city classic 15k

I went on down to Peachtree City, Ryan's hometown, to run a 15k race on Saturday. I'm not much of a racer. I like to start slow & take it easy. It's not really about winning as much as it is about having a good run and finishing strong. But I am starting to think this may be a problem. It took me almost a whole mile or 2 to really get warmed up, even though I had warmed up before the start. And my left lower leg was hurting again. There was a long, gradual uphill at the beginning, so I took it slow and everyone was passing me. Yeesh. But after mile 3, I started passing everyone that had passed me, so I felt better. But still...I need to rethink my race days. How can I ramp up faster without burning out later? And how can I kick the pain in my leg?

All in all it was a fun race. I always like new scenery. The course went through some residential areas and families had woken up to cheer the runners on. Too cute! Oh and golf carts...everywhere. And get this - the women's overall winners for the 15k were a 40 and 45 year old. Woooow! And - Ryan is no longer my only present fan - his dad braved the morning and totally surprised me at 2 points along the course. So I had 2 different Gerald Duckworths at my race & in my fan club. Hehe!

Before the start, flexing my guns, har har:

Off I go!

Everyone else at the start line

Oh, the golf carts! Everywhere!

Ryan's dad took this picture of me near the end:

Check out this cool cemetery in someone's backyard:

Finish line!

Re-energizing after the race with some free nachos from Gezzo's:

1 comment:

Bufyluver said...

Congrats my running friend! Beware the golf carts next time. They are EVIL! Hehe. I'll make it up early one of these times to see you, I promise! :)