Wednesday, October 1, 2008

getting ready for the next debate

So the VP debate is tomorrow, check out Palin preparing in Arizona (from the Fox Embeds Blog):

I heard Laura Ingraham this AM thinking that this might not be good for Palin, because this setting is nothing like what she will be in tomorrow night. But I think she should do whatever helps her study the best! I could never study in quiet during college...give me headphones and my favorite music, and I can really get my study on. Studying outside or in front of big windows also helped me. So maybe being outdoors in a calm environment is what helps Palin clear her head and then cram as much info into it. We all have our pre-test rituals, right?

In other VP debate news, the moderator for the night is Gwen Ifill, and she is releasing a pro-Obama book next year. Do you think this will impact her objectivity during the debate? Something to think about.

And, Palin is giving talk radio interviews while out in Arizona, the first of which happened Monday on the Hugh Hewitt show. Read the transcript and/or listen here.

I thought she did really, really well. I don't know why she struggles so much with the mainstream media interviews. Below are some of my favorite parts:

Hewitt asks if Palin follows the attacks on her...
"Americans today who are worried about losing their home and figuring out how in the world they’re going to pay their fuel bill next month, and send their kid to college, and may be worried about losing a loved one that they’re sending off to a war zone to protect our rights. Those are the shots that Americans are taking, so all this political nonsense and the lies, the rhetoric that is spun out there about someone just trying to offer themselves up in the name of service to this great country, I’ll take it."

On the financial crisis...
"I know what Americans are going through. Todd and I—heck, we’re going through that right now even as we speak, which may put me again kind of on the outs of those Washington elite who don’t like the idea of just an everyday working class American running for such an office. But yes, there’s been a lot of times that Todd and I have had to figure out how we were going to pay for health insurance...We understand what the problems are. It’s why I have all the faith in the world that John McCain is the right top of any ticket at this point to get us through these challenges. It’s a good balanced ticket where he’s got the experience, and he’s got the bipartisan approach that it’s going to take to get us through these challenges. And I have the acknowledgement and the experience of going through what America is going through."

On her religion and the "mocking" of it...
"And you know, so be it, though I do have respect for those who have differing views than I do on faith, on religion. I’m not going to mock them, and I would hope that they would kind of I guess give me the same courtesy through this of not mocking a person’s faith, but maybe perhaps even trying to understand a little bit of it."

No comments: