Wednesday, October 8, 2008

gel taste test

One of my running necessities is the energy gel. I always pack one for runs of 8 miles or longer. These are basically little packets of carbs, electrolytes, protein, nutrients etc that your muscles need to keep going. The actual formula varies by manufacturer, but they're all basically the same. I don't know everything about the science behind it, but what I do know is that it works. And it works pretty quickly. There are other things out there like jelly beans and gum, but I think the gel is the most effective. I also try to get the gels without caffeine. Caffeine gives me a headache and it also can dehydrate you.

The only bad thing about the gels is that they have a very funky texture and sometimes a very strange taste. And there are so many kinds, it can be daunting figuring out which flavors are actually going to taste good. So I thought I'd let you all in on which gels I've actually enjoyed slurping down this year. The last thing you want to do on a long run is gag because the gel tastes so bad. (which I have done...keep reading.)

PowerBar

Haha, I like their picture! So intense! I think out of all the gels, this one is my favorite. Especially the Plain Energy flavor, which I can't even really describe. But it's really tasty. The texture is not too thick, not too thin. Goes down easily! I've also tried the Green Apple and Vanilla. Green Apple has caffeine in it, and I could tell the difference. I was more alert for the last half of my run, but I also had a headache afterwards! :(

Accel Gel

I really like the Accel Gel. I'd say it's my 2nd favorite. These gels work pretty fast and they don't taste too bad. The texture is more fluid than gel. My favorite flavor is the citrus orange. The strawberry kiwi is ok, but it kind of tastes like yogurt to me, and when it gets hot on the run, it's kind of a gross sensation to be slurping down something like hot yogurt. So I would stick with the citrus orange here. I have not tried chocolate yet...chocolate and running just don't go together for me.

GU energy

GU gels are interesting because they have a lot of protein & other nutrients...more than a lot of other gels. However, I didn't really like the flavor as much as some of the others I've tried. Plus, it seemed just about the same in effectiveness. I tried the lemon sublime, and it was pretty good. They have a really wide variety of flavors as well. I'll probably try more in the future.


Clif Shot gel


YUCK. I do not like Clif's Shot gels. I tried the vanilla flavor. It was really thick and looked like poop when it came out of the wrapper. It stinks because out of all the gels, I thought I wanted to like Clif the best, because it's all natural/organic and sustainably-produced. But yuck. I gagged while trying to slurp it down, because I couldn't slurp it down. It was so solid. And the taste, I could barely stomach it. But I have to say, even though I hated it, I might try again, but a different flavor. I think apple pie and mango sound really good...maybe vanilla was just too earthy of a flavor.

So those are all the gels I've tried this year...there are more out there, so maybe I'll have an update next year. And let me know if there are any gels/other forms of energy that you recommend!

2 comments:

Ryan Duckworth said...

Hey now! The sport [jelly] beans do work quite well! Our 21 mile bike ride is evidence to that.

kiwi said...

yeah but they have a nasty aftertaste, and i don't think the electrolytes etc get absorbed as quickly!