Friday, October 3, 2008

review: carver's


Carver's
date of visit: 10/2 & 10/3/08

kiwis:
taste: 5
service: 5
ambience: 5

Oh. my. goodness. This place is heaven. Everything I love about Southern food. I don't know why it took me 6 years to finally go to this place. And now that I've gone, I want to go all the time. I can see this turning into a bad addiction.


Sorry I don't have pictures of the food. I couldn't restrain myself from eating once I sat down. And then once I started eating, I couldn't stop eating and take a picture.

But here are some pics of the outside, and then right inside the door. On my Thurs visit, we went around 1:30 and there was no line, but less veggie choices. But today around noon, we had to wait in line. Many more choices for veggies, and I got the last fried chicken breast! :) The thing wtih Carver's is that once they run out of food, it's gone. And even though they say they're open til 3, if they run out of food, they close. So it's always good to go early!


So I've tried the veggie plate and then fried chicken. Perfect. The veggies I've tried & loved every bite: green beans, mashed potatoes with gravy, cream corn, broccoli souffle, sweet potato casserole, potato/ham/cheese casserole, mac n cheese, sliced tomatoes, fried okra. There are probably 10-15 more vegetables that I have yet to try. The possibilities are endless! You also get a bread: cornbread, mexican cornbread, biscuit, hush puppy, or cheesebread. I've tried the biscuit and the cheesebread - again both are perfect. Oh and don't even get me started on the sweet tea. Nectar of the gods. With awesome crushed ice you won't find anywhere else.

The ambience is just right for this kind of joint. The owners are Robert & Sharon Carver, and they are so nice! You can tell how much they love their restaurant and the food they make. You sit at big tables with people you don't know, but that's kinda fun! And the pictures & funny plaques & art on the walls are great. This is such a unique place and a treasure of Atlanta. I could happily eat here every week. Maybe Mrs. Carver can give me cooking lessons.

No comments: