Tuesday, July 1, 2008

something new

Today I did the unthinkable! I woke up at 6 am (1.5 hours earlier than usual) and...gasp...went for a run!

After my glorious 10 mile run, I went a whole week without running. Not entirely by choice. I was really busy last week! But I definitely slacked off the weekend, which was also busy, but I could have fit some runs in there if I really wanted to. But today rolls around, and I can't not run another day.

I like the morning. It leaves my evenings clear, which were the source of my running frustration last week. It's also much cooler (I wore pants! for the first time since...March? February?) and quieter. Less cars on the road, more runners out. And it sets the conditions for every race I've run - early morning.

But there were definite cons. I felt rushed because I had a time limit, had to be back in time to shower & get ready for work. It was also harder to get warmed up, I felt pretty stiff, even after stretching, until after the 2 mile mark. I ran 4 miles today, but could I run 5 tomorrow and still be back in time to get ready for work? Will I have to wake up even earlier? And believe it or not, sometimes the frustration through the work day makes me have really good runs, because I'm running off steam. But in the morning, I just feel kinda groggy.

I have to admit though, it's nice to be sitting at work now and not have to worry about running in about 10 min. I can just go along my merry way!

No comments: