Tuesday, July 15, 2008

review: Home (revisited)

Home
date of visit: 6/26/08

kiwis:
service: 4
taste: 4
ambience: 4

So we went back to home when my sister was in town...


I have to say I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I was still wowed by most of the food, and will most likely eat at Home again in the future. I just might not be as excited about going.

It was definitely more crowded this time, now that the word is out that this is where Richard Blais can be found. It took a while for service to start. This time there was no tasting menu. So for Snacks, we had Deviled Duck Eggs and Fried Green Tomatoes. Both were superb! I really enjoyed the tomatoes - they were cut vertically instead of horizontally and the fry on them was perfect.

For appetizers we had the Crab Cake and the Chicken Fried Sweetbread. The crab cake was pretty good, had a nice spice to it. None of our party had ever tried sweetbreads before, so we figured now would be a good time to do so. They are very...interesting. This will probably make me sound so pedestrian, but I have to admit, I didn't like them too much. They were so squishy in texture and tasted like a big piece of fat to me. I ate a couple bites, trying so hard to like them and have an open mind. Since every gourmet thinks the world of them. But honestly...I just didn't like them that much. Oh well.

For main course I definitely lucked out with the best entree - swordfish. I was expecting a modestly sized steak, but instead got 2 pretty big pieces of fish. It was cooked perfectly, with a nice spicy rub. You know how swordfish is very steaky and can be very dry? Well this was just about the juiciest swordfish I've ever had. It was great! Ryan had a steak that was just a steak. Nothing too spectacular about it. And Holly had fried chicken. Again, nothing too spectacular about it. Good, but not great. The side dish of mac n cheese was actually more enjoyable to me than the chicken was. Along with our entress came some vegetables, served family style. They too were nothing to write home about. In fact, I can't even really remember what they were...mashed potatoes, carrots...2 others...hmmm

Dessert was cool. I got the Moon Pie with Coke float. The dry ice used to make the float made cold vapors billow all over my plate. Pretty neat! Holly got red velvet cake with cream cheese ice cream, and Ryan got pecan cake with sweet tea ice cream. Both were yummy.

So overall, it was a good experience, just not as great as it was the first time. But upside was that we saw Dale, also from Top Chef season 4, and our server told us that he was being courted to open an Asian restaurant here in Atlanta. It was pretty cool to see him & Richard together talking. I almost felt like I was on the TV show! haha :) I always had a soft spot for Dale and his filipino cooking (Dale thinks it's the next big thing)! I hope he brings it here.

No comments: