Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I am an American

Eesh I go on vacation and leave you starving for some more quotes from our Founding Fathers! Here's a quote each day I missed (fri, sat, sun, mon) and a quote for today!

I anticipate the Day when to command Respect in the remotest Regions it will be sufficient to say I am an American. Our Flag shall then wave in Glory over the Ocean and our Commerce feel no Restraint but what our own Government may impose. Happy thrice happy Day. Thank God, to reach this envied State we need only to Will. Yes my countrymen. Our Destiny depends on our Will.

Gouverneur Morris
Speech in 1800

This government, the offspring of our own choice uninfluenced and unawed, adopted upon full investigation and mature deliberation, completely free in its principles, in the distribution of its powers, uniting security with energy, and containing within itself a provision for its own amendment, has a just claim to your confidence and your support.

George Washington
Farewell Address
Sep 19, 1796

The advice nearest to my heart and deepest in my convictions is that the Union of the States be cherished and perpetuated.

James Madison
Advice to My Country
Fall 1834

I charge them, on a father’s blessing, never to let the motives of private interest or ambition to induce them to betray, nor the terrors of poverty and disgrace, or the fear of danger or of death deter them from asserting the liberty of their country, and endeavoring to transmit to their posterity those sacred rights to which themselves were born.

George Mason
To his sons
Last Will & Testament

Independence Forever!

John Adams
July 4, 1826
on the 50 yr anniversary of the Declaration of Independence and date of his & Thomas Jefferson’s death

No comments: