Thursday, July 31, 2008

furnace of affliction

Alas, it is the last day of July, and the end of my patriotic quote month. I must say I will miss it, it's been fun diving into old documents and searching the web for good words from our Founding Fathers. (i'm a nerd!)

This last quote I think is really relevant to Americans today. I'd say we are going through a furnace of affliction right now. Fears of the economy, gas prices, presidential election, failed & corrupted Congress...all these things could make us afraid, could make us lose faith in America.

But we need this time as a nation. We need to go through the furnace every now and then. When we emerge from the other side, we will only be a stronger, better nation. I only hope that the furnace does not break us, and that we look at this time as opportunity to go back to our Founding Fathers' beliefs and virtues.


The furnace of affliction produces refinement in states as well as individuals. And the new Governments we are assuming in every part will require a purification from our vices, and an augmentation of our virtues, or they will be no blessings.

John Adams
Letter to Abigail Adams
July 3, 1776

No comments: