Thursday, November 20, 2008

i love America

I love America. I love America for what it is, for what our founding fathers stood for, and for the freedoms I enjoy each day because of this great land and the people who have defended her.

But then I wonder how many Americans also love America when I read this article on CNN today - Obama poised to rebrand America.

Several of the "expert" quotes really saddened me:

"Americans can actually go to dinner parties and cocktail receptions around the world today and not have to apologize for the United States the way they have had to do the last several years. The election has made life a little bit easier for Americans living and traveling abroad to hold their head up high again."
John Quelch, the senior associate dean at Harvard Business School

"The arrival of Obama, as an African-American president, gives people a reason -- an excuse even -- to start loving America again."
Robin Oakley, CNN's European political editor

Who are these people who are ashamed of America? Why? We are the greatest nation on earth and I don't understand why people feel like we have to apologize to the rest of the world for this. We have the greatest freedoms, the greatest democracy. We had all this before Obama was elected. These people who are ashamed, who can only love America now that Obama has been elected...I just don't understand them. If they're so unhappy, why can't they just leave our country then? What's with the trash talk? Although I guess Obama makes everything better now that they want to stay...I understand you can be upset about Bush. There are things he've done that I've just shook my head in disappointment. But he's still my President and this is still my country, and I'm still going to hold my head high because I live in this "greatest nation on God's green earth" (to steal a line from Michael Medved, hehe). And I probably won't agree much with Obama, but I'm still going to stand behind him as my President. I refuse to talk trash about my America.

And if you think about it...you don't see people trying to illegally get into other countries...No offense to those countries, but America must be pretty great if everyone's trying to move here and take advantage of how good we have it. And that's my rant for the day.

No comments: