Wednesday, November 5, 2008

deployment: exit poll

So as I sit here watching the TV, seeing Obama's victory speech over and over, I think back on my time here in Florida as a volunteer for McCain. It's hard to believe the time is actually over. From the primary season all the way to today, all I'v been thinking about is election day, the candidates, the issues. And now, there's not really anything left to think about, except for how we go forward from here. From the outset, I didn't really like McCain. I voted for Mitt, and beyond Mitt, I can think of a couple other candidates I would have voted for before I would have voted for McCain. But as the stakes became higher, the difference between Republican and Democrat greater, I knew I had to support McCain no matter what. And as the months went on, I wanted to do all I could to help his campaign. With time, I really grew to respect Sen. John McCain beyond his service in the Navy as a war hero. He really is a great politician, and although we may not agree on every issue, he has done some great things for Republicans. He truly is a maverick and I do not know of anyone who loves his country more thatn John McCain.

And now America has chosen Obama. I can only hope that I can go through the same growing process that I went through to support McCain. I hope as we get to know Obama more, that I can support him and his decisions. That I can see his love for America. That I can respect him as a great politician, that really can't be denied when seeing what he's accomplished. And that although we probably won't agree on many issues, that I can still be loyal and see him and be proud of him as my President.

It is hard to move on, especially because my volunteer time has been so rewarding. I met so many cool people, had so many great conversations. The hospitality here is amazing. I got rides to events, invited to dinners & different victory parties, even got an offer to go to Busch Gardens. The other deployed volunteers were amazing as well, and it was so encouraging to know that there are so many of us like-minded who felt the call to go to the battleground states. A group of young Congress staffers from D.C., a retired Navy fighter pilot from Mississippi, a fellow GT alum, an advocate from California, a guy from Alaska. At some points, there were more of us deployed volunteers than Floridians...I remember one Floridian asking "am I the only local one here?"

We had times of excitement and success as McCain supporters were logged through our phone system. We celebrated Giuliani & McCain coming through. We exulted in the Democrats who helped us phone bank. We banded together in hard times, when one of our poll watchers got death threats and when another got chased by an Obama supporter & his dog and when we endured insults while waving signs (again, what is up with mean Democrats?!)

All in all, I am so glad I took the leap of faith and came down to do this. I guess I have a history of up & leaving to do crazy things (New York...Puerto Rico...). But when I really, truly believe in something, and I can do something about it, I do it. I have to. I feel like I've failed if I don't. I am so glad for this country. I believe in it. I am so thankful for the political freedom we have and the chance I had to really get into the process.

And in 4 years...will I do it again? I guess we'll see!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

am proud of you . . . love-dad B-)