Friday, February 8, 2008

extreme emotion

Does anyone else find this disturbing in the least? I am sure that Obama is a good person, this is nothing against him. But...he has this cult of personality, it creeps me out. Why is Hollywood giving him so much money? And does that really appeal to the American people? I don't really think of Hollywood as having a good grasp on reality. They have lots of money, do whatever they please, etc... And this is coming from someone who works in TV, albeit on a small level. I'll just have to give this some more thought...I don't understand these videos. I get that they're supposed to be funny. But is this the time to make fun of our political system? This is a serious election. This is a serious decision for each and every American (over 18).

Or does anyone find this a little disturbing?Maybe some of you grew up with the things that I did. The Focus on the Family radio show for kids - Adventures in Odyssey - was one of the coolest things ever, better & more exciting than TV shows to me. Stretched my imagination. Then Brio...the girls magazine that I read cover to cover every month. The books my parents read to save their marriage, our family, etc. So you can imagine the respect I have for Dr. Dobson.

But I find it troublesome that he's endorsing Mike Huckabee. Why? Huckabee is conservative in pretty much only one way - his morals. I think that is the folly of the Southern conservatives. They voted for Huckabee based solely on his conservative moral values. We tend to get things confused...Conservative does NOT mean in morals only. To be a true Conservative, you have to face it on several fronts: moral, yes, but also economic, national security, etc. Really, I look more for a candidate who is conservative in the economy first. I don't want the government taking my money and then spending it foolishly. Why couldn't Dr. Dobson have endorsed Mitt Romney? Was it the Mormon thing holding him back?

I guess the thing that irks me the most is that it doesn't really matter if the President is a Christian or not. Christian voters - evangelicals if you will - shouldn't be so enthralled with religion in elections. Instead, just vote for the candidate whose platform most aligns with the values of Christianity. It doesn't matter if the candidate is Christian or not, although it probably helps.

So really I've just been thinking of the extremes of emotion in this election. One one hand you have the people who are swept away by the Obama inspiration & hope. Never mind a hard look at what "hope" he offers or what we have to do to get there. On the other hand you have the moral conservatives who are swept away by the promises of a Baptist minister. When are we going to learn to vote with our heads and not our hearts?

To close...a cool quote from Benjamin Franklin. A man who may or may not have been a Christian. I encountered this in a Bible study I've been going to, and found it very very appropriate for this season:

In the beginning of the contest with Britain when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for the Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered. ... And have we now forgotten this powerful Friend? Or do we imagine that we no longer need his assistance? I have lived for a long time (81 years), and the longer I live the more convincing proof I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it possible that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the sacred writings, that "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it." I firmly believe this, and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall proceed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel.

1787 Speech to the Convention for Forming a Constitution for the United States

No comments: