Monday, March 10, 2008

weekend in review

Had a busy weekend! Ate a lot, did a lot. Here are my reviews! :)

Fri 3/7 - Six Feet Under
kiwis:
taste: N/A
service: 0
ambience: 1

I'm so bummed! I really liked 6 Feet Under and was excited about going back for happy hour with co-workers. When we got there, it was pretty empty. The bar area was a little crowded, but there were still empty tables. The service was horrible!!! Our party took a table by the bar, where we were informed we would have to move if we weren't ordering food and/or they were on a wait. The place was dead. Empty tables everywhere. We all had drinks and probably would have ordered more than enough to cover the cost of food. One of our party ordered an appetizer just to keep the mgmt happy. As more people arrived, we moved to another bar table. We were then informed we couldn't sit there either, because they reserve that table for parties of 15 or more. Well, thanks for telling us. We assured them that we would fill up the tables. Our server was not very nice and served us in a grudging manner. A couple friends and I left after just one drink, we were so disappointed in the service and way we were treated. It wasn't a very happy hour.

I am so sad, because I really liked this place based on previous visit. Oh well :(

Sat 3/8 - Gordon Biersch
kiwis:
taste: 2.5
service: 3
ambience: 3

Went to Gordon Biersch for drinks & appetizers on Saturday. I had a pomegranate drink that was wayyyy sweet. I probably won't get it again, although it was pretty. Ryan & I shared the appetizer platter which was good, but a little pricey. It had potstickers, southwestern eggrolls, and sweet chili wings. The potstickers had a very spicy mustard on them, even when you scraped it off, it was still spicy. I was not happy! The chili wings were pretty good, a little on the fatty side though. But the eggrolls were awesome! Will definitely get them again!

I have to say that the service was awesome. They were really really busy when we first got there (UNC/Duke game). But our server did an awesome job keeping up with us. I also love the ambience there...especially when there are sports fans and Tyler Hansbrough is on the TV! Yay for UNC beating Duke.

Sun 3/9 - Jim 'N Nick's BBQ
kiwis:
taste: 4.5
service: 3
ambience: 4

The first 3 times I visited Jim & Nick's BBQ, it was amazing. I would give it straight 5's. But this past weekend I went, and it wasn't quite as good as it is usually :( Which is sad because I regard it as the best bbq in Atlanta. Yes, even above Fatt Matt's.

It was generally busy, but not horribly so when we were seated. But it took a good 15 minutes for anyone to acknowledge that we had been seated and to take our order. And then, our entrees came out before our drinks even did! What's up with that? The cheese biscuits are my favorite part of the meal - they are like little fluffy cheesy airy things you pop into your mouth and feel all warm and happy inside. Ours were ok - they were a little burnt :( But we got another batch that was much lighter cooked.

Our food arrived lightning fast, and I had the pork plate with fried green tomatoes (veggie of the day) and mac n cheese. It was all excellent! The only thing was the pork was a little more fatty than I remember from my previous meals. But there was plenty of it on my plate, really a great deal for the money. And the fried green tomatoes must be some of the best in Atlanta. Mmmmm...

My friends got chocolate pie that was to die for. Creamy & delicious. Homemade to the core. Loooove Jim & Nicks!

1 comment:

Ryan Duckworth said...

I was also sad about Six Feet Under. We'll have to go back sometime when the deck is open. :)