Thursday, March 13, 2008

random thoughts

Lots going on in the nation...

What do we think of a McCain-Romney ticket? I'm not really sure about it. Not that it's set in stone. On one hand, it may unite the conservatives to McCain. On the other hand, it seems that Romney wouldn't want to be so closely tied to McCain, especially if he wants to make another run at the White House.

Listened to Dennis Prager last night. He had a lot of interesting things to say about the race issue in the Dem race. I think he said that 95% of blacks in Mississippi voted for Obama, yet Obama continues to assert that race is not a factor. He said that before this, he liked Obama. But now, if Obama continues to claim that race has nothing to do with his wins, he is a liar. What do you think?

Listened to Laura Ingraham this AM on the way to work. I wholeheartedly agree with her on the way the media has been treating the Spitzer scandal. If you haven't noticed, all the major news outlets have been featuring "Kristen" lately, going so far as to even bemoan prostitution as being wrong. It seems like the media has just taken the sex scandal as an excuse to take America deeper into sexual deviancy. Do we really need to watch the footage? Do we really need to see the website? Do we really need to know all the sordid details? I don't think so. Which is why you see no links here. Spare yourself from the details.

Last thought...have you heard the California court ruling on homeschooling? Very, very disturbing. The LA Times reports that it is not a ban on homeschooling. But it just upsets me that the government thinks they can take away the right of parents to educate their children in the way they see fit. This intrusion on the family...I guess I get really riled up since A. I was homeschooled for 2 years and B. I went to private school all the other years but 1. Why? Because my parents were not interested in sending me to a public school, where as a 6 yr old, I was lost in a class of 30+ students, exposed to things that they did not morally agree with, and generally did not have a good experience. If parents want more for their children, they should have the right to do so. Perhaps I didn't have as many opportunities later on in high school that public school kids got. But I did get a solid education, and I got into the #2 public university in the nation (at that time). So you can't tell me that the State does the best job of educating. Look at the test scores. Look at what homeschoolers have been able to achieve. I have a friend that was homeschooled her whole life, and now she works at NASA. Stop intruding on the family unit and let parents decide what is best for their kids.

No comments: