Wednesday, March 5, 2008

the dark side

So my love affair with the radio continues. Yesterday morning, I heard Laura Ingraham supporting crossover votes for Hillary. Then last night, I heard Hugh Hewitt slamming Republicans who did so. Saying to put the stake in the vampire while it's down. Don't bring out the mummy. Callers saying that once you cross over to the dark side, you can never forgive yourself. You feel dirty, one woman said her son had to take a shower after doing it. That may be a little...extreme. His most valid point I thought was that with the Rezko situation, Obama may already be going down. Do we really want to crossover to the dark side or just let things run their natural course?



Let's imagine that I'm a Texas resident voting yesterday.

The only reason I would vote for John McCain: I vote for the best candidate. And in my opinion, he is the best candidate remaining.

Reasons I would have crossed over & voted Democrat:

A. Because John McCain is the presumptive nominee, vote for the candidate John McCain is more likely to beat in the fall. Assuming my vote does more good this way than just giving the vote to McCain.
1. Obama is definitely more likable, and though we may hate it, electability is a huge factor in who gets voted in. We Americans tend to forget the issues and just go with whoever we like the most. So, I would vote for Hillary because she's not as likable.
2. McCain has a larger lead over Hillary in polls.

B. Because John McCain is the presumptive nominee, vote for the Democrat I would rather have in office in the case that McCain does not win the general election in November.
1. There are many reasons I do not like Obama. Not only is his cult of personality disturbing to me, but he is not as experienced, the most liberal, and as a blank slate, we do not really know where he stands and where he will take us. This unknown is very, very scary to me.
2. I do not like Hillary. But she does have more experience, and she is very clear on where she stands. At least we know what we are getting into if she becomes President.
3. Obama stands for change, Hillary stands for action. I haven't heard Obama speak deeply on any of the plans he has for our country. Hillary's got it all planned out. I'm cool with having a President who is ready to take over with a clear plan of action rather than a President who would have a steep learning curve to climb before getting anything done.
4. Rezko. Obama better come clean, or he's just another politician and his message is empty.

Of course this is all hypothetical. Obviously, I did not crossover in the Georgia primary. But the temptation to do so if I actually were a resident of Texas, Ohio, and yes even Rhode Island or Vermont, is really great! What's a good Republican to do?

Hugh Hewitt made a funny point...that if Democrats are always wrong, then why should Republicans mess with their electoral process, since they will ultimately choose the wrong candidate? Not really a valid point but I had a good laugh.

No comments: