Saturday, January 3, 2009

thanksgiving half marathon

I totally failed on getting caught up by New Year's...oh well! I think this is one post I needed to get done before next weekend though, or then I'd be 2 races behind!

So this is the Atlanta Weather Channel Thanksgiving half marathon. As I mentioned a while back, it had some substantial hills that weren't too fun. I looked at a map afterwards and saw that the last one that ran by the State Capitol building had been labeled "Capital Punishment" - har har. That one was definitely not fun. It was even worse than Cardiac Hill since it was about a mile from the end. But otherwise it was a pretty normal race. I got pretty claustrophobic in the starting corrals, but I made a friend (another old guy, hehe) and we chatted for a while before the race started and for the first half mile or so. Once we got to Lenox, the next 6 miles were basically the Peachtree Road Race. So I was a little bored there...not as fun as it was in July with all the festivities and such. There was only one Jelly Belly Sports Beans station, and that was kind of disappointing since I don't like the beans! I just have a hard time chewing and running at the same time. I much prefer gels! Running through downtown was pretty cool, especially at that time when there were lots of banners for the SEC Championship. I got another medal for finishing :) All in all, a good time, but I would probably not do it again. It's on Thanksgiving, which in theory sounded cool to work for the turkey, but in the end, it was so cold in the morning and all I could think about was the food I'd be eating later on. Talk about torment. Plus, if you do the Peachtree, this race is basically the same thing, just twice as long.

Anyway, here are some men in uniform finishing waaaay before me. Gotta give a shout out to our armed forces!


And here I come down hill to the finish (thank goodness):


There I go!


Danna came out to cheer me on! I had a lara bar stuffed in my mouth when we took this picture, that's why my cheek looks so oddly puffed out. Just want to give another shout out here to everyone who has come out to my races this year or offered words of support & encouragement in person, by phone, email, facebook, everything. It really makes a difference when you know you have people supporting every step of the way!

No comments: