Friday, January 30, 2009

stimulus bill???

This is the sorriest excuse for a stimulus bill. I called my Congressman on Wed and told him I would like him to vote no. I was actually talking to one of his aides who said he would pass my sentiments on. He voted yes though, and I expected him to. But this is the first time I've ever called a Congressman. (I'm more of an email kind of girl) So you know, for me to actually make a phone call, I think this stimulus bill is a HUGE mistake.

WSJ is calling it a 40-year wish list for Democrats - full of pork for all their favorite projects and little funding that will create jobs or directly benefit the taxpayer.

Read it yourself.

It's really long though, so this WSJ article is a good summary. I especially like the 2nd paragraph laundry list:

"We've looked it over, and even we can't quite believe it. There's $1 billion for Amtrak, the federal railroad that hasn't turned a profit in 40 years; $2 billion for child-care subsidies; $50 million for that great engine of job creation, the National Endowment for the Arts; $400 million for global-warming research and another $2.4 billion for carbon-capture demonstration projects. There's even $650 million on top of the billions already doled out to pay for digital TV conversion coupons."

Speaking of length, how many of our elected officials have actually read & thought about the whole thing? This is all just happening too fast. Everyone needs to take a breather and think this one through before committing to spending almost $1 trillion dollars!

What I really want to know is...what Democrats really think this is going to work? What about job creation? Why not cut everyone's taxes so we can actually have some money to spend? Why not shrink or terminate unnecessary govt programs? Why are we spending so much, so much money on programs that will do little to nothing to actually stimulate the economy?

I've heard a lot of talk on the radio, the news...why don't they just call this what it really is, a massive spending bill?

Call or email your Senators today.

No comments: