Friday, June 13, 2008

review: Home

Home
date of visit: can't remember

taste: 5
ambience: 4.5
service: 4

Yeah...it's been a while. I went to Home about a month ago, to celebrate a promotion, and then totally got swamped and never wrote about it. But it is definitely one of the best restaurants in Atlanta now, and that's not just because of the star power of Top Chef finalist Richard Blais. Ok...it is.

We opted for the tasting menu that night, which meant Chef Blais would take items off the regular menu and put his own little spin on them. I highly recommend doing this if you go to Home and the option is available (apparently he's not there every night).

Amuse Bouche - oyster with tabasco pearls
I'm not any oyster person, but i slurped this one down. The tabasco pearls were really, really cool. He used liquid nitrogen to make them, and they were similar to dippin dots.

Course 1 - raw fluke with duck skin
I didn't even know what fluke was. It's fish. Raw fish with crispy duck skin. Doesn't sound like it would be good, but it was delicious. The fish was very delicate, the duck skin was a perfect contrast in texture. And tasted just like bacon!

Course 2 - shrimp & grits
Notice "shrimp." Just one shrimp. But it was the best cooked shrimp I've ever had. I'm not sure how he cooked it, but I need to learn. The grits accompanying the shrimp were also good, and also some dehydrated pineapple, foie gras, and some kind of smokey sauce. The flavors were all distinct & different but still managed to complement each other.

Course 3 - pork short rib
Ah yes, a dish I was waiting to see! It had peaches :) Which made me love Richard in the first episode of Top Chef this season, when he made peach pizza. Nothing like a Georgia homeboy representing the South! (ironically I think he's originally from NY, haha). Anyway! Pretty much the most tender rib I've had (until I got to course 4), and the peaches & coffee bbq sauce were great!

Course 4 - beef short rib
This is the most tender, juicy, flavorful rib I have ever had. It was cooked for 48 hours and served with a horseradish foam (foam!!), creamed potatoes, and beets. Beets? Ew right? No...these were good beets. If you hadn't told me they were beets, I would have never known. They were delicious, and again brought out the earthy flavors of the beef rib. Yummmm

Dessert - pecan cake & sweet tea milkshake
I am just blown away by his creativity. Sweet tea milkshake! Another thing I need to learn...and make every day...especially in the summer...

So Home, amazing food, amazing chef. My only complaint is the music in the dining room. It just doesn't go along with the menu & the restaurant decor. And really they might want to rethink the decor. It's a little stuffy. But the service was good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness!! sweet tea milkshake?! you have to take me there sometime! :D are you busy next week? maybe i can come visit you for a day or two, the week after that is gonna be poopy for me work wise, ugh :{ you should have your own column in a paper about different food hot spots around atl, you're such a good writer! i almost don't like reading about the foods you taste because i always end up being hungry by the end of the entry :-P

p.s. i love your hair!!!! c: