Monday, June 16, 2008

discouraged

So after I ran 8 miles, I felt pretty good about myself & my running. The next week I was supposed to reach the 10 mile mark.

Well...that didn't happen.

I think my biggest mistake was that I had successfully run 8 miles without stopping and without a water break during the run. I think I gave myself an invincibility complex. Like...I can run 8 miles, I can run 10 miles without any help! Cuz I'm awesome & on a roll!!!

Then Sunday rolls around and I go for a run, and it's not all shady, and actually quite hot! I got around to the 3 mile mark and started feeling incredibly parched. I got towards the 5 mile mark and felt incrediby weak. I looked ahead and saw a neverending hill.

And then I did the one thing I have not done since starting my training way back in January. I stopped. I walked. I walked all the way home, and didn't finish the 10 mile loop I had mapped out for myself.

I'm pretty down & discouraged right now. I feel like if I can just reach the 10 mile mark, that's a big step! I can really do a marathon in 6 months. But I just couldn't do it this weekend =( I feel like such a loser!

I just thought I could do too much. Maybe if I had brought water with me, or maybe if I had broken up the route better into down & back segments rather than one huge overwhelming 10 mile loop. Maybe I just psyched myself out because I couldn't stop thinking about the run all week long, overthought things. Who knows...

So this week I am just repeating last week's training, and hopefully reaching 10 miles this weekend. It's a big step, because I keep telling myself that once I reach 10 miles, I'm putting the money down for Disney.

Wish me luck, and happy thoughts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you can go for 9 remeber how the Egyptians built the pyramid! ( and probably they even walk wit those building stuffs on their shoulder one mile at a time! B-)

Ryan Duckworth said...

I'll follow behind you in a car (if you run on the streets again) with a water bottle and motivational music! Some Eye of the Tiger perhaps?